Friday, January 11, 2013

Holy Spirit book has been pulled...

I have pulled all of the chapters from the book on the Holy Spirit, since I am getting ready to publish the manuscript.  I am leaving the preface, contents, and intro to continue to attract interest. 

I hope you have enjoyed the material.  My aim in writing is twofold.  First, I am convinced that the denial of the Spirit's indwelling presence is a detrimental blight on an otherwise glorious heritage for churches of Christ that still embrace the American Restoration Movement.  This material is offered as an alarm and a corrective.  Second, I believe my optimism for a large-scale achievement of unity between churches of Christ and sectors in the denominational fellowships is well founded.  Not only are the longstanding objections against baptism being dismantled by the "new perspective on Paul", but other fellowships besides ours are also coming to grips with a "tragic neglect of the Holy Spirit" (Francis Chan's phrase).

The book has been attracting a lot of hits on this blog.  My main purpose for posting it here was to attract interaction that would help me better develop the writing.  I would still appreciate your evaluation.  You can either post a response below (where others can see it and engage our conversation), or you can email me privately.  I understand that the material is controversial within churches of Christ.  At some point in the publication process, favorable endorsements will be important to me.  This, of course, will require bold souls who are stout with conviction. 

Since I have never published before, there are all sorts of bewildering possibilities.  I would like a "brotherhood" publisher, since the book addresses our movement.  And, given the controversy it may stir, some of our presses may hesitate to publish.  If it comes to it, I may self-publish (perhaps on Amazon).  I have spoken with one publisher from outside the brotherhood as well.  After addressing our churches, I may revise the material for a larger audience, since the bulk of it is stock theology and only a small portion actually addresses the denial of the Spirit's indwelling.

All of this is to say that you may have a role to play in moving this process forward.  It may simply be a helpful suggestion to correct a mistake or to improve the material.  Or, it may be your endorsement. 

I will be deep in prayer over this, and would ask you to pray as well.  I am confident that God will enable this material to fill the purpose(s) that He intends.

Servant of Christ Jesus,
John Krivak

No comments:

Post a Comment